Monday, November 23, 2009

Geo-Fencing and SOS Button in GPS Trackers

Of all features found in a GPS tracking device, what I find very useful in many occasions is the Geo Fence and SOS Button. My wife and I live in a small town, the kind of town where everybody knows everybody. On occasions, our 10 years old son would go out and play -- he always forgot to tell us because he’s overexcited, especially when his friends picked him up for a bike ride around the town. I always had my wife calling me in panic saying that our son went missing, and then someone I know would call me to let me know where they saw my son.

After a while, I found out about GPS tracking. Being able to track the movements of my son alone is great; we can simply locate him whenever he wanders off. With the help of Geo Fence and SOS Button, my wife and I are able to develop a system that would keep my son even more protected. We talked to our son about the GPS tracking device. We explained to him about the device and how important it is to have it on him at all times. We opted for a custom GPS tracker with wrist-band GPS tracking device, so having one with him at all times will not be a trouble at all.

Then I set a Geo Fence perimeter around our neighborhood, and inform our son about these virtual ‘fences’. We asked him not to go outside the perimeter unless he informed either me or his mom first. The last thing I told him about the GPS tracking device is how to use the SOS button. I registered three contacts (most GPS tracking solutions can have up to five emergency contacts with an optional help-desk for informing the authority, which is very useful if you are tracking elders with illness or packages and assets with high theft risks). I remind him constantly about the importance of pressing the SOS button whenever he is in an emergency.

Now, my son is well-protected. He appreciates the use of GPS tracking not only because he knows that they are for his own good but also because he feel we give him more responsibility. He has been behaving nicely since. I think parents should really invest on GPS tracking to protect their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment